Broadband initiatives - impact to your network?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 21:46:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Jonathan Feldman <jf at feldman.org> wrote:
> I'm one of the reporters who covers broadband and cloud computing for
> InformationWeek magazine (www.informationweek.com), and it's interesting to
> me that one of the issues with cloud adoption has to do with the limited
> pipe networks available in this country. For example, it's not feasible to
> do a massive data load through the networks that are currently available --
> you need to FedEx a hard drive to Amazon.  Holy cow, it's SneakerNet for the
> 21st Century!

is this a 'this country' bandwidth problem or the problem that moving
10tb of 'corporate data' in a 'secure fashion' from 'office' to
'cloud' really isn't a simple task? and that cutting a DB over at a
point in time 'next tuesday!' is far easier done  by shipping a
point-in-time copy of the DB via sata-drive than 'holy cow copy this
over the corp ds3, while we make sure not to kill it for mail/web/etc
other corporate normal uses' ?

The broadband plan stuff mostly covers consumers, not enterprises,
most of the (amazon as the example here) cloud folks offer
disk-delivery options for businesses.

you seem to be comparing apples to oranges, no?

-chris