Recommendation in Australia for ISPs to force user security?

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Jun 22 19:17:16 UTC 2010

Come on, you aren't thinking gov't-enough.

"BASIC" broadband access will be a SSH/web-only proxy with firewalling/antivirus/etc capability. That whole pesky HTTP/1.0 problem was solved a long time ago. Maybe you don't even get your own IP anymore -- and you have to access your email through their web portal too. This also qualifies you as net-neutral in that everyone gets the same poor service. Only content providers that sign an agreement to be free of virii and malware (with an appropriate "inspection/sanitization" charge will be let through... e.g. Netflix or whomever) -- this way, you aren't being made to differentiate between bits, you are being made to ensure national security.

"BUSINESS" broadband access might give you a real IP, allow you to torrent, but you sign a piece of paper that authorizes them to charge you if you get infected, or better yet, a maintenance plan of a $24.95/month on top of your service to make sure you don't get infected with a remotely managed firewall/router or whatever will meet the definition of the regulation.

This can be solved so fast it'll make your head spin. Build a big proxy "cloud", send everyone 60 days notice once the regulation comes in effect, on day 61 throw the switch. Day 62, collect orders for the upgraded service. *PROFIT*

My only shock is that Washington isn't leading Canberra on this, with an even faster timeline than the one above.

Deepak