A bit off topic: Video streaming/video on demand server

Eric J Esslinger eesslinger at fpu-tn.com
Tue Jun 22 14:57:06 UTC 2010

My company has been using an online video service for certain shows on our local access channel, to stream them live over the internet and make them available as video on demand. This is stuff like city and county meetings, parades, that sort of thing.

We're getting complaints because the ads had become very intrusive and annoying (budwiser swimsuit girls dancing across the screen in the middle of watching the Alderman meeting, for example). They are balking at the yearly 'subscription' cost, especially as we don't even come close to needed the amount of bandwidth/storage that provides.

So I've been asked to look into setting up something locally (we have more than enough bandwidth to support what little use we're getting, with plenty of room to grow), but I really don't know where to start. So I'm looking for some help, perhaps experience with products, or someone who could consult with us on this. Also, my content creator needs an easy path to get the content online. He does his editing with a computer but trying to get him to convert formats and such is somewhat difficult.

Eric Esslinger
Information Services Manager - Fayetteville Public Utilities
http://www.fpu-tn.com/
(931)433-1522 ext 165

This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed. Any use by others is strictly prohibited.