Micro-allocation needed?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jun 21 21:55:40 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-21, at 17:42, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> Are there (a significant number of) providers that will filter a /24 announcement from an ARIN prefix not in the list of prefixes where they allocate /24 blocks.

Not in my experience, but I don't know how useful that is to know because I don't know how to characterise my experience in any meaningful way :-)

> (I take it from what you wrote that the answer is "No").

I'm interested in the idea of anycasting one of the pool.ntp.org herd-members. Every time I've suggested such a thing I've been told (paraphrasing) that a good (server, client) NTP session exhibits reasonable RTT stability, this constitutes, in effect, a long-lived transaction, and hence anycast is not a good answer unless you have confidence that the potential for oscillations is low, or that the frequency of the oscillations is very low (i.e. in a private network this might be a good answer, but across the public Internet it's a poor answer).

Has the thinking changed, or did I just misunderstand?

Joe