IPv6 consumer perception

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Jun 18 16:31:27 UTC 2010

On Jun 18, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Zed Usser wrote:

> With marketing campaigns like these, no consumer will want to use IPv6, if it becomes associated with privacy problems.
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/huge-security-flaw-makes-vpns-useless-for-bittorrent-100617/
>
> It is, of course, totally irrelevant whether the reporting is factually correct or even based on real IPv6 issues or not, this is how public opinion is formed.
>
> The only takeaway from this to a non-technical user is that IPv6 is bad and the correct solution is to turn it off.

I think that the idea that your communications are purely anonymous is something that has been put out there by people that do not get the technology.

I recall explaining to some nice folks at the Secret Service back in the 90's where some emails came from, and how to actually get in contact with the real person who made threats against the president.

Do these people take their license plates off their cars while they drive on the streets, or scratch out their VINs?

To think it's impossible to determine attribution on the internet is foolish.

- Jared

(While there are legal torrents, and that's *surely* the only reason for piratebay to be used, it does not excuse the criminal activity if you *think* you can't be tracked).