Advice regarding Cisco/Juniper/HP

Greg Whynott Greg.Whynott at oicr.on.ca
Thu Jun 17 17:21:46 UTC 2010

Haven't seen these same issues either,  but have seen others..

We use HP 8212's here to connect our storage and hpc devices.   each 8212 has about 20 or more 10Gbit connections.   Everyone is happy with them from an availability and performance perspective.  Two things which I noticed,  1.  Under heavy load (60% or more of 10Gbit interfaces at +80%) we have seen _all_ interfaces simultaneously  drop packets and generate interface errors.   this was on an early release of the firmware and I don't think we have seen this problem in awhile.  2. each module only has about 28 Gbits of bandwidth to the backplane.  this means if you want non blocking 10Gbit access to the backplan you can only load up an 8212 50% of its physical port capacity with active links.

Very recently they changed licensing,  the 8212's use to ship with premium licenses included.  this gave you OSPF,  PIM VRRP and QinQ.   without a product number change or other clear indication,  these no longer are included but must be purchased separately.   This was a bit of a let down as we use OSPF internally and was one of the items that made the 8212's interesting when deciding what we would standardize on for access switches.

We also use 6509e's for our core routers,   they use to be the only routers till we deployed OSPF.   On the internet edge we use ASRs.

The 'H3C' switches they recently acquired look nice(r).

-g