ipv6 bogon / martian filter - simple

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Jun 15 07:02:45 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-15 01:37, Brandon Applegate wrote:
> I mean really simple.  Like 2000::/3.  If it's not in there it's bogon,
> yes ?

At the current time and hopefully for the next 20 years at least yes ;)

> What I'm really asking, is for folks thoughts on using this - is it too
> restrictive ?

You should be fine for the lifetime of your job plus several other
years. Like any configuration you need to document it and the reasoning
behind it and if possible flag it in a way that people will re-examine
it in time.

google(ipv6 filter) if you want a set of filters which are tighter than
that and actually there is another keyword that you should be using:

RPSL

See RFC2622/2650 there are various tools that can provide you with
filters based on that data. Please also tell your
customers/peers/transits to use it, many already do and it is the proper
way to do filtering on your network.

As for routes that are not in the RPSL databases, make a local registry
with them and just feed your tools from it, kicking the folks to put
them in RPSL though is a better method ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen