On the control of the Internet.

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Jun 13 19:07:17 UTC 2010

> On 6/13/2010 08:47, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 00:21:49 CDT, Larry Sheldon said:
> >
> >> For example--what happens when name-service information for a part that
> >> is not shutdown comes from a part that is?
> >
> > It's always been a BCP good idea to have your DNS have secondaries in another
> > non-fate-sharing AS, even though everybody from Microsoft on down seems
> > to feel the need to rediscover this.
>
> How about if the source database (not the relevant zone file, but the
> collection of data on some computer from which a zone file is created.

How about [...] is /what/?  Unavailable?  The zone files are still in
place.  Not really a problem in the overall scheme of things; I realize
that some people have engineered things so that this will be a problem,
but that's a choice.

> How about the case where the master zone file has be amputated and the
> secondaries can no longer get updates?

I'm not sure what "amputated" means here, but considering the case where
the master itself is amputated, and the secondaries can no longer update,
generally speaking, you log into the secondaries and twiddle their configs
to make them masters.  This requires some planning, preparedness, and
procedures, but is in no way a crisis, unless you've failed to do the
planning, have failed to prepare, and haven't followed your procedures.

How that works in the case where a government mandates something specific
happens within your zone file is of course debatable, but possibly more
back towards the original topic.

... JG