Upcoming Improvements to ARIN's Directory Service

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Jun 12 14:25:20 UTC 2010

> john,
>
> today, a research batch script running periodic bulk whois work has a
> line something like
>
>    ncftpget ftp://user:[email protected]/arin_db.txt.gz
>
> well, it can actually be simpler.
>
> for the web 9.3 impaired of us, could you describe the simple batch
> script line under the new improved system?

Randy - You're going to have to get on ARIN Online at least
once to generate an key (this means after June 26), but then
accessing the data should be just as simple for a batch script
(i.e. use curl or wget for this purpose).  I've extracted the
relevant draft info from the June 26 release documents and
attached below.  This is obviously subject to change until
the release actually comes out...

/John

---- DOWNLOADING USING AN API KEY ----

The report can be downloaded directly without logging into
ARIN Online using a RESTful HTTP request containing your
API key.  The URL must look like:

https://www.arin.net/public/rest/downloads/nvpr?apikey=YOUR-API-KEY

There are a variety of ways to automate the retrieval of
this report.  For example, on a Linux system, where your
API key is API-1111-2222-3333-4444, you can use the
following 'curl' command to download the report file:

curl https://www.arin.net/public/rest/downloads/nvpr?apikey=API-1111-2222-3333-4444 > arin_nvpr.zip

You can manage your API keys on the when logged into your
ARIN Online account.