Upcoming Improvements to ARIN's Directory Service

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Jun 12 13:50:51 UTC 2010

>  My apologies for the confusion over this when you called in;
>  while we had briefed the support team on RESTful WHOIS, we
>  hadn't covered the updated Bulk Whois interface as it is a
>  bit of a specialized item and coming out on the next release
>  of ARIN Online due to its need for "API key" support.  The
>  26 June release of ARIN Online will allow you to create and
>  manage these keys, which in turn may be used in RESTful calls
>  (and email templates!) for authentication. A brief overview
>  of this feature was provided at the ARIN Toronto meeting and
>  is available here:
>
>  https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXV/PDF/Tuesday/Newton-REST-and-Relax.pdf
>
>  We will rollout the API key functionality and Bulk Whois via the
>  RESTful interface with this next release of ARIN Online on 26 June,
>  and this will allow the Bulk Whois data to be downloaded directly
>  without logging into ARIN Online by using a RESTful HTTP request
>  containing your "API key".  As Mark Kosters noted in his message,
>  we did contact current Bulk Whois users ahead of time about these
>  changes, but if you were missed or have any questions about the
>  change, please don't hesitate to contact myself or Mark directly.

john,

today, a research batch script running periodic bulk whois work has a
line something like

    ncftpget ftp://user:[email protected]/arin_db.txt.gz

well, it can actually be simpler.

for the web 9.3 impaired of us, could you describe the simple batch
script line under the new improved system?

thanks!

randy