Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 9 21:59:00 UTC 2010

On Jun 9, 2010, at 2:05 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> On 6/9/2010 15:56, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Laws and regulation exist because people can't behave civilly and be expected to respect the rights/boundries/property others.
>>>
>>> CAN-SPAM exists because the e-mail marketing business refused to self regulate and respect the wishes of consumers/administrators
>>>
>> Which is good, because it certainly eliminated most of the SPAM. -- NOT!
>
> It is actually an outstanding example of something of something I spoke
> of here earlier.
>
> Without any exception that I know of, regulations are written to protect
> the entrenched.  CAN-SPAM was written to protect spammers, not to
> prevent anything important to them.

Actually, as much as it would make so much more sense if that were the
case, it simply isn't true.  CAN-SPAM was written to be a compromise that
was supposed to allow consumers to opt out of receiving SPAM and
prevent SPAMMERs from sending unwanted messages.

Sadly, of course, it hasn't done either one.

Owen