Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Jun 9 17:32:54 UTC 2010

On 6/9/2010 12:17, Joe Greco wrote:

>>> I agree, on the other hand, what about those people who genuinely didn't
>>> do anything wrong, and their computer still got Pwned?
>>
>> Fiction.
>>
>> At the very least, if you connected a system to the network and it got Pwned,
>> you were negligent in your behavior, if not malicious. Negligence is still
>> wrong, even if not malice.
>
> So, just so we're clear here, I go to Best Buy, I buy a computer, I
> bring it home, plug it into my cablemodem, and am instantly Pwned by
> the non-updated Windows version on the drive plus the incessant cable
> modem scanning, resulting in a bot infection...  therefore I am
> negligent?
>
> Do you actually think a judge would find that negligent, or is this
> just your own personal definition of negligence?  Because I doubt that
> a judge, or even an ordinary person, could possibly consider it such.

One can argue (and I will) that there is indeed some culpability because
the buyer bought the cheapest version of everything and connected it to
a negligent provider's system.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca