Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 12:27:52 UTC 2010

> I'm all fine with noting that certain products are particularly awful.
> However, we have to be aware that users are simply not going to be required
> to go get a CompSci degree specializing in risk management and virus
> cleansing prior to being allowed to buy a computer.  This implies that our
> operating systems need to be more secure, way more secure, our applications
> need to be less permissive, probably way less permissive, probably even
> sandboxed by default, our networks need to be more resilient to threats,
> ranging from simple things such as BCP38 and automatic detection of certain
> obvious violations, to more comprehensive things such as mandatory virus
> scanning by e-mail providers, etc., ...  there's a lot that could be done,
> that most on the technology side of things have been unwilling to commit
> to.

Great comments Joe, and I agree with you that there is a lot more that
can be done and should be done, but there is a main difference with
your recount about the auto industry, all those changes were pushed by
evolving regulation and changes in the law and enforcement.

Going back then to a previous question, do we want more/any regulation ?

Cheers
Jorge