Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 9 02:29:51 UTC 2010

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 8, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Brielle Bruns <bruns at 2mbit.com> wrote:

> On 6/8/10 2:12 PM, Dave Rand wrote:
>
>> It's really way, way past time for us to actually deal with compromised
>> computers on our networks.  Abuse desks need to have the power to filter
>> customers immediately on notification of activity.  We need to have tools to
>> help us identify compromised customers.  We need to have policies that
>> actually work to help notify the customers when they are compromised.
>>
>> None of this needs to be done for free.  There needs to be a "security
>> fee" charged _all_ customers, which would fund the abuse desk.
>>
>> With more than 100,000,000 compromised computers out there, it's really
>> time for us to step up to the plate, and make this happen.
>

> Problem is, there's no financial penalties for providers who ignore abuse coming from their network.

Problem is there's no financial liability for producing massively exploitable software.
No financial penalty for operating a compromised system.
No penalty for ignoring abuse complaints.
Etc.

Imagine how fast things would change in Redmond if Micr0$0ft had to pay the cleanup costs for each and every infected system and any damage said infected system did prior to the owner/operator becoming aware of the infection.