Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Fri Jul 30 10:10:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

* Matthew Walster

> On 30 July 2010 09:20, David Conrad<drc at virtualized.org>  wrote:
>> Even today, people are deploying multiple subnets in their homes.
>> For example, Apple's Airport allows you to trivially set up a
>> "guest" network that uses a different prefix (192.168.0.0/24) and
>> different SSID than your "normal" network (10.0.1.0/24).
>
> Clearly, you think you're in the right and that you're making a
> valid and salient point. I see the above as unreasonable rationale.
> The very definition of "trivial" I would contend here - I honestly
> don't know a single resi user who has even logged into their
> modem/router. They're shipped with the username/password already
> entered by many ISPs these days, so they don't even have to set it
> up, they just plug it an and "use the internet".

I can order VOIP and IP-TV services from the broadband provider I use at
home.   This is realised by using a separate subnet per service, so with
VOIP+IPTV+Internet I'm already using three distinct subnets.  I don't
have to configure anything - that's all handled by my ISP.  I just have
to connect the IP telephone and IPTV tuner to the correct port on the
CPE and I'm ready to go.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson