Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Fri Jul 30 07:27:29 UTC 2010

On 29 July 2010 18:08, Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda at icann.org> wrote:
> There's a good chance that in the long run multi-subnet home networks will become the norm.

With all due respect, I can't see it. Why would a home user need
multiple subnets? Are they really likely to have CPE capable of
routing between subnets at 21st Century LAN speeds? Isn't that
needlessly complicating the home environment?

Additionally, when it comes to address size, Andy Davidson et al make
a good point - you request what you expect to assign, and due to the
massive availability of the IPv6 address space, you generally get it
assigned within a few days. It just seems *wasteful* to me. /32 is a
lot of space, if most customers are only going to have a few machines
on one subnet, why not just give them a /64 and have an easy way to
just click on a button on your customer portal or similar to assign a
/48 and get it routed to them.