Out-of-band paging

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Jul 28 14:55:27 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM> said:
> Obviously, using SMTP-to-SMS-over-the-Internet to tell yourself that
> your SMTP infrastructure is hosed is the wrong answer.

We even ran into this with paging and direct submission via TAP.  We had
a POTS line not provisioned over fiber (so not the same physical layer
as our regular connectivity), used a modem on a computer with a
dedicated UPS, etc.

Then we realized that our local paging provider was connected to us for
Internet access and sent pages to towers outside the immediate area over
the Internet.  Oops.

Now we use SMS and a GSM modem.  Since the cell carriers don't buy any
access from us, we're at least somewhat better off.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>