Web expert on his 'catastrophe' key for the internet

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 02:47:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:21:56 -0400, Jim Richardson
<weaselkeeper at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's already a problem for getting alert pages. Any actual *pager*
> companies left? They all seem to have gone to SMS systems.

SkyTel is the only one I remember.  Sadly, their coverage is about that of
Cricket or Clearwire. (at least in NC)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:37:57 -0400, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> Relatively speaking, at&t's Enterprise Paging (which appears to just be
> enterprise SMS with a TAP/SNPP gateway) has been a lot more reliable.  I
> have no idea how reliable it'd be in a major telecom crisis, of course.

I'd expect it to work as well as the cellular network, since it's riding
on it. (read: it stops working when your cellphone does.)

SkyTel *used* to have satelite pagers.  I don't think anyone runs such a
network anymore... the pagers were bulky and the network is quite
expensive to run. (just look at Iridium.)

--Ricky