Web expert on his 'catastrophe' key for the internet

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Jul 28 01:37:57 UTC 2010

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> > As wonderful as the new communications paradigms are, do we also
> > have a situation now developing where it might eventually become
> > very difficult or even impossible to ensure out-of-band lines of
> > communications remain available?
>
> That's already a problem for getting alert pages. Any actual *pager*
> companies left? They all seem to have gone to SMS systems.

Well, USA Mobility was supporting ReFLEX pagers for us up until I got
tired of playing the tech support "try this alternate TAP dialup number"
game that seemed to be needed every year or so, because suddenly messages
wouldn't be delivered or would be queued for many hours (and these are
two-way pagers we're talking about, the network knows where they are).
That was probably less than a year ago when I got fed up and told them
we weren't renewing.

Relatively speaking, at&t's Enterprise Paging (which appears to just be
enterprise SMS with a TAP/SNPP gateway) has been a lot more reliable.  I
have no idea how reliable it'd be in a major telecom crisis, of course.

Aren't there still some satellite pager providers out there?  :-)

... JG