I slogged through it so you don't have to -- ICANN Vertical Integration WG for dummies

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Jul 26 20:04:55 UTC 2010

On July 26, 2010 at 14:42 brunner at nic-naa.net (Eric Brunner-Williams) wrote:

 > When Hewlett-Packard wrote to ICANN earlier this year that it should
 > get .hp, the obvious rejoinder was "Buy a country like everyone else,
 > submit a change request to the iso3166/MA, and do business under .hp,
 > your new country code property." Apparently HP didn't want to actually
 > buy a country first. Cheapskates.

HP doesn't even have HP as a stock symbol, that'd be Helmerich &
Payne, a contract oil/gas driller. The computer company can be traded
under symbol HPC.

  "Happy name spaces are all alike; every unhappy name space is unhappy
   in its own way." -- !Tolstoy

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada