Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sun Jul 25 13:52:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:01:33 +0200
David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Jack Bates wrote:
>
> > Doug Barton wrote:
> >> having none of that. (For bonus points, explain how the RIRs continue to exist if everyone can have all of the guaranteed-globally-unique IPv6 space they wanted for free.)
> > whois.
>
> http://whois.iana.org
>
> > what did I win? IANA can handle very basic assignments, but hasn't the staff for large support or extra services (whois, POC management/validity, routing registry).
>
> With the exception of a routing registry (which I wasn't aware was an address allocation requirement), these services are provided by ICANN as part of the IANA functions contract.  Out of curiosity, why do you think providing whois, POC management/validity, and even a routing registry requires a large staff?
>
> > I think IANA would be perfect for ULA identifier assignments. No whois/poc/routing registry needed. Send email, get an identifier in a week or 2.
>
> As you note, ICANN already provides something like this as part of the protocol parameter function of the IANA functions contract for private enterprise numbers (OIDs).
>
> > This is my concern. A business would rather be assured uniqueness over gambling, no matter what the odds.
>
> I remember arguments like that about why Token Ring was going to win over Ethernet :-)

+1 +1 +1

(Was quite happy when I was able to have an 10Mpbs ethernet pulled from
the floor below when my gov dept. was merged with another gov dept. and
I was moved to their IT section - and they were using 4Mbps token ring)

Of course being in business is a gamble in itself. They gamble on
future profits occurring when they spend on product or service
development, government regulation staying stable, cost bases that
aren't going to dramatically change, and possibly currency values
staying fairly stable (GFC type events being the ones that out bad
gamblers). I doubt businesses will be all that uncomfortable with IPv6
ULA collision odds that are worse than winning the lottery.