IPv4 Exhaustion...

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Jul 24 16:54:12 UTC 2010

What's crazy is:

  a) How each org/company seems to be handling these notices
  themselves.

  b) How they seem to be filtering down to operations people to sort
  out.

Seems like an opportunity for some lawyers to form a membership
association. Agree to some reasonable policy, send them your RIAA (et
al, because this kind of thing is growing like kudzu) takedowns,
they'll respond or tell you what you should do to satisfy (if
anything.)

This would let that org develop some leverage with RIAA et al, "if we
don't hang together we will surely hang separately", RIAA is taking
advantage of this, their lawyers know full well how a+b above can be
exploited.

I sat in an "intellectual property constituency" meeting at ICANN
which was basically me, and 100+ lawyers.

Their main topic was takedowns, and how horrible it was that ISPs et
al don't just reformat all their disks on receipt of a lawyer letter
on nice letterhead, the bastards (i.e., us) start demanding court
orders etc, outrageous! expensive! burdensome!

I told some quick anecdotes about phony takedown demands (e.g.,
painful divorce or business partner fights) and my
inability/reluctance to accurately judge these things beyond the most
obvious.

I can't say they weren't receptive, it was a little bit of a "WAKE UP
AND SMELL THE COFFEE, TAKEDOWNS ARE VALUABLE CONSIDERATIONS!" which
they understood, and the potential liability aspects for an ISP.

Anyhow my take is that takedowns are a growth industry.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada