Looking for comments

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 23 16:37:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, the fact is that various *extremely* large operators find themselves
> more or less forced into these scenarios by IPv4 exhaustion.

Hi Brian,

Respectfully, anyone betting on what the ISPs will be "forced" to do
is betting to lose. The operators, large and small, have a number of
options for dealing with free pool exhaustion. NAT, aggressive address
recovery, transfer markets, dual stack of course, and others.

That having been said, I don't want to stray from the point of your
document -- offering practical advice to folks for whom IPv6 plays a
role in their plans for dealing with free pool depletion. I
respectfully submit that a silent assumption that ISPs will be forced
kicking and screaming to adopt one of the strategies you've outlined
does not make for a healthy foundation for the document. Assume
they'll have other options than IPv6, dual stack or otherwise. Assume
they'll abandon dual stack for the other options if dual stack proves
too challenging.

Then figure out the mitigations and go in to technical detail citing examples.

> I think it's
> more reasonable to describe solutions for them than to rule their
> problem out of order.

In that, you are surely correct. But frankly, having read 4.3 I have a
hard time taking it seriously as an early-stage IPv6 transition
mechanism. It reads to me like pie in the sky.

I can see 4.4 as a late stage mechanism when we're slowly dismantling
our IPv4 networks... I can also see it as an under-the-hood mechanism
for deploying new integrated technologies (utility meters, IPTV, etc).
As a replacement for general-purpose IPv4 access in the stages before
Ipv6 is ubiquitous? I welcome you to prove me wrong, but sitting here
looking forward it just doesn't seem credible to me.

If I was writing your document, I think I'd describe it that way:
potentially valuable for deployments of new technologies such as
[list] so that their roll out and operation doesn't get caught up in
the expensive free pool exhaustion issues, but unlikely to be
acceptable for general purpose Internet access.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004