Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Jul 23 14:04:17 UTC 2010

Owen DeLong wrote:

> Well, wouldn't it be better if the provider simply issued enough space to
> make NAT66 unnecessary?

The thing is, IPv6 is 128 bits of address space, so a /64 for your home
*really* should be enough to have >1 machine online at a time.

It'll be a lot easier to change the subnetting rules inside small
networks, and we all know that DHCPv6 is far superior to SAA for almost
all cases, but especially home users who need things like their DNS
entries set up for them by their "router".

Matthew Kaufman