Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Fri Jul 23 09:50:02 UTC 2010

Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> writes:

> In all reality:
>
> 1.	NAT has nothing to do with security. Stateful inspection provides
> 	security, NAT just mangles addresses.

You know that, I know that and (hopefully) all people on this list know
that. But NAT == security was and still is sold by many people.

> Most customers don't know or care what NAT is and wouldn't know the
> difference between a NAT firewall and a stateful inspection firewall.

I Agree. But there are also many people who want to believe in NAT as
security feature.

After one of my talks about IPv6 the firewall admins of a company said
something like: "So we can't use NAT as an excuse anymore and have to
configure firewall rules? We don't want this."

cheers

Jens