Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jul 23 00:24:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 00:33:45 BST, Matthew Walster said:

> I never saw the point of assigning a /48 to a DSL customer. Surely the
> better idea would be to assign your bog standard residential DSL
> customer a /64 and assign them a /56 or /48 if they request it, routed
> to an IP of their choosing.

If they're using autoconfigure for IPv6 addresses, what happens if they want to
share that connection?  Giving them a /64 off the bat means that a very sizable
fraction of your users are going to call.

Phrased differently - how screwed would you be if you engineered your IPv4
network so the default was "one device only", and the customer had to call you
and ask for a network config change because they wanted to hook up a $50 home
wifi router?

If it doesn't make sense for IPv4, why would you want to do it for IPv6?