Multicast Network Monitoring

Athanasios Douitsis aduitsis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 14:39:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Brandon Kim <brandon.kim at brandontek.com>wrote:

> Interesting question, I'd like to know more about this myself. I'm so used
> to monitoring SNMP-based
> devices, never really thought about multi-casts and being able to see the
> pattern/tree....

Shameless plug, I once developed a tool which was called multicast
weathermap. You can see what remains of it here:

http://netmon.grnet.gr/multicast-map.shtml

(hover over the nodes and the links and you can see various useful info)
(you can see the tree of a specific group by selecting from the drop down
list at the bottom)

and the presentation here

http://tnc2004.terena.org/programme/presentations/show2c2c.html?pres_id=47

Since I too myself am into multicast, I intended to incorporate into it
everything needed to know everything. But eventually it was left as it is.

Apart from that, the NNM advanced used to have a multicast plugin, and it
was fairly usable. You could take a look at it probably, but I don't know
whether it can handle those MPLS cases you mention.

Lastly, those guys at Poznan used to work on a tool called Muvi
http://muvi.man.poznan.pl/
You may want to take a look, although I fear it too has been abandoned.

Best Regards,
Athanasios