Standard for BGP community lists

Brad Fleming bdflemin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 04:45:55 UTC 2010

I don't know about anyone else, but I use:
9999:9999 for local rtbh
9999:8888 for local + remote rtbh

Basically, whether I should blockhole the traffic to a capture box on
my network for user analysis -OR- whether I should blackhole within my
network AND make a best effort to blackhole within my direct peers as
well. Its obviously a sticky case since some of my direct peers don't
support blackhole routing. I allow users to signal either case to me
and I also offer to inject the routes on their behalf.

I didn't have much reason for selecting 9999 other than it was easy to
identify visually. And obviously, I have safe-guards to not leak those
communities into other networks.

brad