On another security note... (of sorts)

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 16:14:12 UTC 2010

On 7/19/10 10:21 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> ... my credit card is declined and flagged (I find out later) by my bank's
> anti-fraud group because it's being used 3 states away from where it's usually
> used. ...

Or in my recent case, I used my card multiple times in California in April, and
the next time was trying to make a *deposit* back home in Michigan a month or so
later.  Card rejected.

> Fortunately for my sanity, I was able to get hold of them the next morning and
> convinced them I was me by having them call me back on the phone number they
> already had for me - if somebody in their fraud group had realized that if the
> credit card was stolen, the cell phone might be as well, I'd have been
> screwed...

Unfortunately, I had to go to a credit union branch, and have them call the
main office after showing my drivers license for picture proof....  And that
meant I had to wait 3 days for the office to be open after the holiday!

> Understand now how customers might have isssues?

Yep, most simple algorithms are severely flawed.  Doesn't mean there couldn't be
better algorithms.  And an understanding that banking is just the same as a
grocery store or a mall -- or an ISP....