On another security note... (of sorts)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 19 14:21:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:06:08 EDT, "J. Oquendo" said:
> Maybe naivete on my part, but I don't see how customers would have
> issues if the scenario/framework was concisely explained.

It's one thing to be sitting in my office rationally discussing what my bank
does to prevent credit card fraud, and almost nobody will disagree with the
concept that the bank should try to prevent fraud. However...

It's quite another when I'm driving to my brother's funeral, stop to get gas in
the middle of the night.  For some reason, they go ahead and pump the gas
before running the credit card, and after they've pumped nearly a full tank of
gase, my credit card is declined and flagged (I find out later) by my bank's
anti-fraud group because it's being used 3 states away from where it's usually
used. Since they don't take checks,  I'm forced to use pretty much all the cash
I was planning to use for tolls/etc so I had to find a way to Long Island
without paying any tolls because the stupid card wasn't working in ATMs in the
area either.  Driving around Trenton (where I've never been before) at 3AM
trying to find the construction detour from I-295 to Route 1 because my map
says that's my best free way to LI wasn't my idea of fun...

Fortunately for my sanity, I was able to get hold of them the next morning and
convinced them I was me by having them call me back on the phone number they
already had for me - if somebody in their fraud group had realized that if the
credit card was stolen, the cell phone might be as well, I'd have been
screwed...

Understand now how customers might have isssues?