virtual switches

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Mon Jul 19 03:31:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Truman Boyes wrote:

>> Cisco has VSS (on 6500 class) and H3C has IRF;  allowing you to
>> virtualize 2 or more physical switches/routers in an active/active
>> configuration

> Juniper also has Virtual Chassis support on the EX-series. The MX also
> supports active/active multi chassis-LAG. It works as you would expect,

I seem to recall that both of these implementations suffer from some
significant limitations around how/what you can do with them, as well as
HA options...though that's all I can remember from digging into it
(enough to realize it wouldn't work for us) last year.

OTOH, Raptor's "virtual chassis" magic (while it has its own issues...)
didn't have these problems. :)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html