Vyatta as a BRAS

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jul 16 13:02:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:57:15 PDT, Henry Linneweh said:

Your definitions seem to be rather ATM-specific, which may be a bit of a
problem in a world dominated by Ethernet...

> Can we get a consensus definition on these definition's and what hardware
> vender's make edge routers and what hardware vender's make core routers.

I got a router, it's got 5-6 10GE interfaces talking to other routers on
my network backbone, and a bunch of 10GE links to end-user-facing aggregation
switches. Since it's only forwarding inside my network, it's a core router
by your definition.

I now turn up an identical hardware 10GE link - connected to Level3. I just
became an edge router by your definition since I'm talking to another network.
(I know, I probably don't want to do that - but I *could*, maybe even without
a full BGP feed if the routing situation allows. The point is the definition
is busticated).

Adding to the confusion is the fact that the edge routers of some large providers
need more capacity than the core routers of smaller organizations....

Maybe we need to ditch the terms edge and core, and instead talk about:

1/4" plastic tubing - http://www.waterfiltermart.com/images/products/preview/plastic_tubing_and_nut.jpg
garden hose - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cd/Garden_hose.jpg/800px-Garden_hose.jpg
fire hose - http://www.firetrainingcenter.com/images/FireHoseStreams.jpg
NYC Delaware Aqueduct - http://www.allpropertymanagement.com/blog/2010/02/09/worlds-awesome-tunnels/

Everybody good with that? ;)

(Man.. it *leaks* 15 million gallons a day. That's capacity. :)