Vyatta as a BRAS

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu Jul 15 15:54:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
>
>> For example, for a provider whose entire upstream capacity is 1Gbps, I have a hard time seeing how a Linux- or FreeBSD-based box could credibly be claimed not to be a suitable edge router.
>
> Because it can and will be whacked quite easily by anyone who packets it, either deliberately or inadvertently.  I've seen too many software-based routers fall over with far, far less traffic than 1gb/sec to think otherwise.

Since you've seen "many software-based routers fall over", can you
provide details on specific hardware/software/traffic patterns/rates
where you've seen these failures?   From what I can tell, software
based routers are almost universally used in SOHO environments; so it
would be nice to know when such solutions are no longer viable in your
experience.

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad