Vyatta as a BRAS

Curtis Maurand cmaurand at xyonet.com
Tue Jul 13 15:05:09 UTC 2010

On 7/13/2010 2:56 AM, Truman Boyes wrote:
> On 13/07/2010, at 4:50 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
>

>> On Jul 13, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Sharef Mustafa wrote:
>>

>>> do you recommend it?
>>>

>> My comment would be that a software-based BRAS - 7200, Vyatta, et. al. - is no longer viable in today's Internet, and hasn't been for years, due to security/availability concerns.  Same for peering/transit edge, customer aggregation edge, et. al.

>> Roland Dobbins<rdobbins at arbor.net>  //<http://www.arbornetworks.com>
>>
>>     Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.
>>
>>                         -- H.L. Mencken
>>
>   A low cost 7200 or ERX-310 would easily fit the bill, and you can buy them cheap these days.

Cisco may be a lot of things, but low cost is not one of them.

I've been running Vyatta on a small 1U Supermicro Server (cost $600.00)
for over one year.  It handles all of our VPN traffic and is the main
router for our fiber connection.  Except for dropping a tunnel every now
and then its been flawless.  I've set up a cron job to monitor the VPN
and restart any tunnel that might drop.  No tunnel is ever down for more
than a minute.

router:~# uptime
  11:01:52 up 377 days, 17:22,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

--Curtis