Rate Limiting on Cisco Router

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jul 9 04:12:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Alan Bryant wrote:

> So you guys would not recommend the traffic shaping route on a 7206
> with a NPE-G1? Is it the processor or memory that would not be able to
> handle it?

With a G1 you'll be able to shape just fine, even do fancy stuff like
fair-queue within those 80 megs. I've done this on a NPE-300, but only
egress, and as long as packet sizes were fairly large (normal TCP sessions
with mostly 1500 byte packets + ACKs) it coped with 90 megs of traffic. So
with the added power of G1 you should definitely try before ruling it out.

Shaping is so much better than the packet dropping that a rate limiter
does.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se