U.S. Plans Cyber Shield for Utilities, Companies

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Thu Jul 8 16:13:47 UTC 2010

Brandon Ross wrote:

> Do people really think the guy in the airport control tower is really
> surfing Facebook while he's controlling aircraft on the same computer, or
> that capability is even what is under consideration?

"Air traffic controller suspended for allowing son to radio instructions
to pilots at New York's Kennedy Airport"
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030410dnnatairtraffic.170a785b7.html

"Air traffic controller suspended, was chatting on phone with girlfriend
during Hudson River crash"
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/13/2009-08-13_air_traffic_controller__on_phone_with_girlfriend__an_supervisor_suspended_over_h.html

Huh? ... Scary isn't it: "Pilots were working on laptops when plane
overflew Minneapolis destination"
http://www.japantoday.com/category/world/view/wayward-pilots-were-working-on-their-laptops-when-plane-overflew-minneapolis-destination

There is that capability however, you may be looking at it from a
different perspective. It's easy enough to plop open an iPhone for
Internet usage. I'm almost positive there are no "smart phone" policies
in an Air Traffic Control tower.

--

J. Oquendo

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to
ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things
differently." - Warren Buffett

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E