Mikrotik & OC-3 Connection

Alan Bryant alan at gtekcommunications.com
Sun Jul 4 00:51:12 UTC 2010

Ok, scenario time.

I've found a 7206VXR\NPE-G1 w/ 256MB RAM.

It has the 3 onboard GigE ports and a PA-POS-1OC3 card in it that
should be fine for our OC-3 connection.

We need a total of 5 Ethernet ports, not necessarily all GigE. I found
this card, PA-2FE-TX that would give us 2 10/100 ports. Everything
that I have seen says this should work with the above router. Can
anyone confirm this for me?

We plan on doing BGP on the WAN side and BGP or OSPF on the LAN side.
I'm assuming that I will need to upgrade the RAM on this router. Would
I need to upgrade it all the way to the 1GB that it can take? From
what i can tell it is not that expensive for the RAM, so we might as
well.

Will the following IOS version allow us to do all of the above?
Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-IS-M), Version 12.4(12),
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I'm finding it difficult to figure out the IOS versions and what is
compatible from Cisco's website. Is this the highest IOS that this
router can run?

Thank you all for all the incredible help. Hopefully I will be able to
repay the community at some point.

--
Alan Bryant | Systems Administrator
Gtek Computers & Wireless, LLC.