Inquiries to Acquire IPs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 2 19:07:48 UTC 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 11:46 AM, Crist Clark wrote:

> We got a strange and out of the blue inquiry from someone
> wishing to pay us for a chunk of our ARIN allocation,
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> According to Whois data, you company owns the following
>> IP address space:
>>
>> 206.220.220.0/24
>>
>> We would like to get this block of IP addresses for our business
>> needs. Is it possible to assign this block for our company with
>> PI (Provider Independent) or PA (Provider Assigned) status?
>>
>> We ready to pay about $5,000 for the net block itself
>> and all related procedures.
>>
>> Would you be interested in such an offer? The amount of compensation
>> is subject to negotiation.
>
> We're not interested, mostly because we use our allocation,
> but also because I think this is not allowed by our agreement
> with ARIN. Seems a bit fishy.
>
> I should add the sender identified himself and his company
> clearly. It wasn't from some free mail account. (Although it
> could of course be spoofed.)
>
> Is this a new thing? IP speculation as we come upon free pool
> depletion? A front for spammers?

They would have to justify their need with ARIN prior to the transfer
actually taking effect, but, this is now allowed for /22 and shorter
under NRPM 8.3 (for better or worse).

However, at the current time, if they can justify an IPv4 /24 under
ARIN policy, they're better off to wait for the board to approve
proposal 2010-2 (which the AC forwarded to the board for final
adoption at our last meeting) and simply apply directly to ARIN.
Once that proposal is enacted by the board, it would also be
possible to effectuate the transfer they described, but, they would
still have to demonstrate their need for the space to ARIN in
order for the transfer to happen.

Since they can get the same block from ARIN as an end user
until IPv4 runout for $1250 initial and $100/year, I don't see
why they would want to pay $5000 for it under the same terms.

Owen