SPANS Vs Taps

Darren Bolding darren at bolding.org
Thu Jul 1 23:24:38 UTC 2010

Tap manufactures will be sure to tell you of many issues.

The main concern I would have is that it is possible for a switch to drop
frames of a SPAN.  Your decision might be influenced based on your
application and the impact of such errors (billing, lawful intercept,
forensics).

A tap vendors take: http://www.networkcritical.com/What-are-Network-Taps

On a somewhat related note, I will mention that TNAPI from ntop is quite
handy.   http://www.ntop.org/TNAPI.html

<http://www.networkcritical.com/What-are-Network-Taps>--D

--
--  Darren Bolding                  --