Type of network operators?

Butch Evans nanog at butchevans.com
Thu Jul 1 21:15:41 UTC 2010

I have been on this list for about 2 weeks, just observing the
        discussions.  I have primarily worked with wireless service
        providers in
        the past who are fairly low budget operators.  Some of the
        things I've
        observed about this group are:

        * This list seems to be populated by better funded operations
        (whether
        that means larger or just better at getting funding may remain
        to be
        seen)

        * Most of the operators on this list seem to be pretty good at
        their
        work and the questions seem to revolve around more complex
        issues

        * There seems to be a number of corporate network operators on
        this list
        as opposed to access network operators (such as ISPs and such)

        I hope you all don't take this as an affront and get offended,
        as that's
        not my intent.  I am just making some simple observations.

        Having said this, I wanted to introduce myself and see if this
        is a list
        that I need to participate in actively.  I am a network engineer
        and
        consultant.  I have worked in the past with Cisco, Juniper and
        other
        similar "higher end" type devices, but it's been a while since I
        had
        customers who use that gear.  Most of my current customer base
        are
        smaller operators who can pinch a penny in half.  :-)

        I do a lot of work with MikroTik RouterOS, ImageStream and other
        Linux
        based devices.  I do engineering, training, hardware sales and
        such for
        networks all over the world.  I am likely to continue to monitor
        the
        list for questions that are in my area of expertise, but
        wondered if
        these devices I mention are "common" to operators on this list.
        I know
        that I have not caught a discussion that involved any of them so
        far
        (other than one reference to an OpenBSD solution a day or two
        ago).

        Anyway, hello to the list and I look forward to finding a home
        among
        this group.