Advice regarding Cisco/Juniper/HP

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jul 1 14:14:59 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, June 30, 2010 04:50:40 pm Ricky Beam wrote:
> No they don't.  Which version of IOS are you running? Oh, right, that
> switch doesn't run IOS, it runs CatOS?  Wait a min, that's a 1900... it
> uses a menu interface.

Yep, much like the 'NetBeyond'  EtherSwitch 1420 I have here doing... well... 10Base-5 to 100Base-FX and 24 10Base-T's 'work'.  Man, that left a bad taste in my mouth.  But if it ain't broke...

> I have three Cisco switches right here that are radically different.  In
> fact, the 2948G-L3 confused a CCIE for several weeks. :-) Until I told him
> stop thinking "switch" and config it like a 48 port router. (and sadly, it
> doesn't support interface ranges. :-()

Have a couple of 2948G-L3's in production here, doing trunked gigabit etherchannel uplink to a 7609, with the 7609 doing the DHCP.  Configure them like the nearly forgotten Catalyst 8500's.....  they're one step from broke, but there's no budget to replace at the moment.  Too bad they look virtually identical to the very different 2948G's, which is 4500-based instead of 8500-based.

But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one still working those AnyFlow-based switches....

In this case, perhaps the statement should be 'Advice concerning Cisco BU1/BU2/BU3/etc/Juniper/HP/Extreme.....'