domain registra question

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Sun Jan 31 01:41:48 UTC 2010

On 1/30/10 8:01 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> We are doing hosting and
>> We are interested in doing Domain registra
>> Could you provide more info?
>
> Although Eric is correct that you can become an ICANN accredited
> registrar, that's probably not what you want to do.

Agree, but I'm not going to tell him (or anyone) what they should
want. For all I know he sees some present value entering the highly
concentrated CNO industry, or some future value as a registrar with
operational clue in the 20+ inventory market, when the number of
inventories increases substantially.

> Many registrars have reseller programs which allow you to sell
> domain registrations that are actually handled by the registrar
> whose service you are reselling.  If you just want to let your
> customers register the domains they use in their hosted web sites,
> that's much, much easier.
>
> I resell Tucows (www.opensrs.com) and am happy with them, but you
> should look at several large registrars and choose the one that
> best meets your needs.

Distinct from the question of member (of CORE) vs reseller (of any
registrar offering a reseller model), members having a voice in the
policy and management of the registrar, resellers not, is the issue of
shared fate. A reseller shares fate with all other resellers of a
particular registrar.

Eric