SSH brute force China and Linux: best practices

Bobby Mac bobbyjim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:47:57 UTC 2010

Hola Nanog:

So after many years of a hiatus from Linux,  I recently dropped XP in favour
of Fedora.  Now that my happy windows blinders are off, I see alarming
things.  Ugly ssh brute force, DNS server IP spoofing with scans and typical
script kiddie tactics.

What are the new set of best practices for those running a NIX home
computer.  Yes I have a firewall and I do peruse my logs on a regular
basis.

BTW: ever drop a malformed  URL to alert an admin to some thing that sucks?
w3.hp.com/execs/makes/too/much/money or
www.yourbuddiesdomain.com/it/is/all/rfc/space/use/1918/when/referring/to/non/routable

Thanks,
BobbyMac