Comcast IPv6 Trials

tvest at eyeconomics.com tvest at eyeconomics.com
Thu Jan 28 13:11:35 UTC 2010

On Jan 28, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:

> What I've heard is that the driver is IPv4 exhaustion: Comcast is
> starting to have enough subscribers that it can't address them all out
> of 10/8 -- ~millions of subscribers, each with >1 IP address (e.g.,
> for user data / control of the cable box).

But then that begs the question of why lots of other very large retail Internet access providers have not indicated that they're committed to the same course of action (?).
They're certainly not the only provider that employs a public IP address-intensive access model, so where are the other retail IPv6 trial announcements/pre-announcements?

If they start appearing with some frequency real soon now, then maybe it's just a time-until-overflow issue. If not, then maybe there are other/better explanations.

TV