Using /126 for IPv6 router links

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Tue Jan 26 05:45:17 UTC 2010

On 1/25/2010 20:06, Mark Smith wrote:

> This from people who can probably do decimal to binary conversion
> and back again for IPv4 subnetting in their head and are proud of
> it. Surely IPv6 hex to binary and back again can be the new party
> trick? :-)

Hehe.  Decimal -> binary in your head?  I don't even bother except if
it's some well known "magic #s".  Hex -> binary though is super simple
since unlike decimal, each digit translates exactly into a nybble.  You
just have to know the binary from 0 - 15, 16 simple four-bit patterns,
and it's a piece of cake.  You can give me hex numbers and and I'll
rattle off binary all day, or vica-versa.  Octal is similarly easy, but
would result in some long IPv6 addresses.  :-)