Using /126 for IPv6 router links

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jan 26 00:33:15 UTC 2010

On Jan 25, 2010, at 8:14 AM, Mathias Seiler wrote:

> Ok let's summarize:
>
> /64:
> + 	Sticks to the way IPv6 was designed (64 bits host part)
> + 	Probability of renumbering very low
> + 	simpler for ACLs and the like
> + 	rDNS on a bit boundary
>
> <> 	You can give your peers funny names, like 2001:db8::dead:beef ;)
>
> - 	Prone to attacks (scans, router CPU load)
Unless of course you just block nonexistent addresses in the /64 at each end.

> - 	"Waste" of addresses
> - 	Peer address needs to be known, impossible to guess with 2^64 addresses

Most of us use ::1 for the assigning side and ::2 for the non-assigning side of
the connection.  On multipoints, such as exchanges, the popular alternative is
to use either the BCD of the ASN or the hex of the ASN for your first connection
and something like ::1:AS:N for subsequent connections.

> /126
> + 	Only 4 addresses possible (memorable, not so error-prone at configuration-time and while debugging)
> + 	Not prone to scan-like attacks

Equally prone to scan like attacks, but, no ACL required to reduce vulnerability.