Using /126 for IPv6 router links

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:01:13 UTC 2010

Interesting.  I have never seen anyone say "always use a /64 as a single IP"
... perhaps you mean as an IP segment or link?
You are assigned a /64 if it is "known" that you only need one segment,
which yields as many IPs as you want (18BillionBillion or so) - and the
reality is that a home user should get a /56 and an enterprise should get a
/48, at the very least - some would say a /48 per site.

> > **) And, using the expected /48-/56, the numbers are really 256-64k
subnets.
> > Note: "All we've really done is buy ourselves an 8 to 16 bit improvement
at
> > every level of allocation space"
> > *) And you don't think 8-16 bits _AT EVERY LEVEL_ is a bit deal??
>
> I'm not saying that 8-16 bits isn't an improvement, but it's a far cry
> from the bazillions of numbers everyone makes IPv6 out to be. By the
> time you figure in the overhead of autoconfiguration, restrictive
> initial deployments, and the "now that the space is much bigger, we
> should be reallocating bigger blocks" logic at every layer of
> redistribution, that is what you're left with. So far all we've really
> done with v6 is created a flashback to the days when every end user
> could get a /24 just by asking, every enterprise could get a /16 just by
> asking, and every big network could get a /8 just by asking, just bit
> shifted a little bit. That's all well and good, but it isn't a
> bazillion. :)

There are some similarities between IPv6 and old classful addressing, but
the bit-boundaries chosen were intentionally made big and specifically
factoring in the then-ongoing scarcity (Ye olde Class B exhaustion).  The
scale of the difference *is* the difference.  I am not quite sure what a
bazillion is, but when we get into the Billion Billion range I think that is
close enough! :)

/TJ