Using /126 for IPv6 router links

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jan 25 16:42:39 UTC 2010

In a message written on Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:14:06PM +0100, Mathias Seiler wrote:
> Ok let's summarize:
>
> /64:
> + 	Sticks to the way IPv6 was designed (64 bits host part)
> + 	Probability of renumbering very low
> + 	simpler for ACLs and the like
> + 	rDNS on a bit boundary
>
> <> 	You can give your peers funny names, like 2001:db8::dead:beef ;)
>
> - 	Prone to attacks (scans, router CPU load)
> - 	"Waste" of addresses
> - 	Peer address needs to be known, impossible to guess with 2^64 addresses

/112:

+ 65535 possible addresses, can use a standardized subnet for everything
  from a 2 router point to point, to a six address vrrp to vrrp dual
  router static setup, and beyond.  Becomes the universal "edge
  interface" when the far end is routers not hosts.
+ rDNS bit boundary++, since it falls on a :.
+ Limits the effects of scan-like attacks.
+ Can set aside 1 /64 of /112's for, well, forever.