Status as of Friday COB @ Boutillers, Port au Prince, Haiti

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sat Jan 23 16:41:28 UTC 2010

[sent to a smaller distribution yesterday evening, now to NANOG for
wider information and coordination purposes, ebw]

All

I am looking into booking Reynold's wife and children into short-term
lodging in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic or in a nearby island.
There has been some progress on an escort ground transport (to Santo
Domingo, D.R.), which will allow Reynold to stay on-site and maintain
a non-zero critical technical resource at the Boutilliers Data Center.

There are some signs of progress on the visa and/or parole paperwork
necessary to move Dominique, Nikki and Aurelia to Florida, where one
of Reynold's two (US nationals) sisters live. However, "soon" isn't a
term with a fixed date.

There has been fuel resupply, with sufficient fuel to run through the
weekend (sounds familiar, neh?).

With respect to the other core staffers at this facility:

Stéphane Bruno, administrative contact for the .ht Country Code, has
left Haiti with his family. They are currently in Washington, D.C.

Max Larson Henry, technical contact for the .ht Country Code, has lost
one member of his immediate family, and has taken another member of
his immediate family to hospital. He is not available to assist in the
operation of the telecommunications and datacommunications
infrastructure at Boutillers.

Reginald Chauvet, the owner of the Data Center in Boutillers, in which
the .ht Country Code registry is a tenant, has left Haiti with his
family. They are currently in Maimi.

All the critical telecom infrastructures are located at the Data
Center in Boutillers, which contains the Internet Exchange Point, is
hosted in ths Data Center. There are technicians present in the
environment, for whom Mr. Guerrier has coordinated their shelter,
feeding and basic needs, but no other technical resources capable of
operating any of the NAP/IX/relay problems, as they arise.

The transport date isn't fixed, but I expect it will be within the
next 48 hours. The end-to-end, PaP-to-SD time is 5 hours, road and
boarder control included in the time budget. If Reynold has to provide
the escort himself he will be off-site for at least twice that period,
possibly as long as 48 hours, complications costed in. The nearby
island routing is via air, and preferable, but has a paperwork dependency.

As Rod Beckstrom will be doing a public availability in the early
evening of the 27th in Washington, D.C., and I've a real job to do
from time to time (for CORE), I plan to be in Washington on the 27th.
If anyone wants to meet at the Beckstrom event venue [1] or near by
drop me a line.

Eric

[1]
http://blog.icann.org/2010/01/public-meet-up-with-icann%E2%80%99s-ceo-in-washington-dc-on-27th-january/