1/8 and 27/8 allocated to APNIC

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jan 22 01:49:58 UTC 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 5:22 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> In the event that 1.0.0.0/8 is assigned by IANA, anoNet could
> move to the next unassigned /8, though such an event is unlikely, as
> 1.0.0.0/8 has been reserved since September 1981.

Sounds like a non-winning strategy to me.  It's just a (random) matter of time until they get to do the same thing again, see:

http://blog.icann.org/2009/09/selecting-which-8-to-allocate-to-an-rir/

> I thought there was some other group that had been squatting in 1/8, something about radio and peer to peer...but not AnoNet (at least that name was totally unfamiliar)...but this was all I could find with a quick google.

There are other folks who are playing Russian Roulette, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi.

Lots of "fun" in store for us in the future.  Might think about moving to IPv6... :-)

Regards,
-drc